Saturday 22 April 2017

The Good Girlfriend's Guide To Getting Even by Anna Bell

I initially decided to use this blog to only review any ARCs I've received but I've decided to use it to talk about both my novel and any books I read in general. So starting from today this blog will be a whole not more active!

Amazon
The Good Girlfriend's Guide to Getting Even is the latest chick-lit novel by Anna Bell and is immensely enjoyable. The story follows Lexi Hunter, a sporting widow who decides that she needs to get revenge on her long-time boyfriend Will for lying about why he couldn't go to her best friend's wedding with her, all so he could attend a football match. Then, as part of a writing assignment, she turns her revenge into a blog.





What I Liked

So the best parts of this novel tended to revolve around the relationships and the background characters. Not that there was anything wrong with Lexi or Will, they seemed like a sweet couple mostly, but it was some of the side characters who stood out the most. Cara was one of Lexi's best friends, a fellow member of her writers' group, she was a more modern version of Sex in the City's Samantha and she was just as delightful. She was always going on about what Lexi could do to spice things up in the bedroom but she was there with the honesty when Lexi needed her and that was wonderful to see.

Other characters who pop up near the end are Josie and Richard who I can't say much about without spoiling but they're hilarious and very important to the plot. As well as this you have the writing group which is hilarious in itself, Lexi's co-workers and the tiniest mention of Penny from the Don't Tell trilogy which was completely awesome. All together there was a lot of humorous scenes and when there was romance it was adorable.

What I Didn't Like

My main issue with this book is one that I had from the off-set and that's how once again lying was being used as a plot device in chick-lit. I get that people aren't always honest but there is a limit and a lot of the time, the lies go way too far. Sure, there wouldn't have been a book if Lexi had just spoken to Will about seeing him on TV but it would have also been a lot healthier. This book wasn't the worst example I've seen of this trope and funnily enough, Lexi does learn her lesson but Will doesn't. He might have gone to the match for a sweet reason but the fact he kept the lie going was just not good.

I also didn't really like the character of Robin. Once again, I know why he was there, but he wasn't really needed and he was just annoying. The book could have done without him and would have still worked well.

The Verdict

Overall it was a good and funny book but I expect no less from Anna Bell. A Good Girlfriend's Guide To Getting Even might not have been her best book but if you're looking for a quick and easy read or you want to read about a couple going through a rut then this is the book for you.


4/5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment