Tuesday 17 October 2017

ARC: My Side of the Diamond by Sally Gardner

This book took it's time getting here but unfortunately there were shipping problems merp. It happens though and all it means is that review is being posted after the book has already been published. That's not exactly a problem, is it?



Anyway, I received my copy of My Side of the Diamond through ReadersFirst. This is a really short and easy to read YA book by Sally Gardner and it's one that looks absolutely gorgeous. The book has a soft cover and can be closed with a convenient strap which gives it the feel of a notebook. Why you ask? Because notebooks are important to the characters...you see this book focuses on Jazmin, a girl whose writer best friend disappeared after falling off a tower with a boy. The story goes back to when the girls first grew close when Jazmin and Becky talked about Becky's stories.



And on that note, this is what I thought about the story.

What I Liked

The premise of this book was very interesting. Someone has disappeared and though Jazmin has been completely honest, the story is too crazy for anyone to believe her. I also liked the use of murder or supposed murders and creating people. It's all very mysterious and interesting.

What I liked most about this book is how it looks though. It really is gorgeous and that's what made it the most fun to read.

What I Didn't Like

The problem is that I didn't really like this book...at all.

There was nothing wrong with it but it just felt a little young for me. They had serious situations like eating disorders and death but just brushed over them, it featured the idea that love not only creates al but is this saving power and the writing style just...it felt very Jacqueline Wilson to me.

Whilst these things aren't issues, they did make me feel that this book is better suited to younger teens than older ones. It's cheesy and oh-so weird but it would be perfect for a teenager who is looking for some different sci-fi.

Overall Thoughts

This book just wasn't for me but I feel like if I'd have read it when I was younger I'd have enjoyed it more. I am however in love with how it looks so it has a precious place with my books.


2/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment