Monday 14 August 2017

ARC: The Diabolic - S J Kincaid

The Diabolic by S J Kincaid is a book that I've wanted for a while now but haven't been able to get my hands on. So you can imagine how excited I was when I saw it on NetGalley. Unfortunately for me, I got it at a busy time so I found myself unable to focus sometimes but that didn't take away from how great this book was.

This is a YA sci-fi book about a genetically engineered girl called Nemesis who was made to protect her owner, Sidonia. Only Sidonia becomes a close friend, one who when is targeted, Nemesis us happy to pretend to be to keep her safe from the Emperor's imprisonment.



What I Liked

I really liked Nemesis as a character. You understood her from the off but were able to watch as she grew. I loved the fact she loved dogs and I loved that she was unapologetic. What I loved, even more, was Nemesis and Sidonia. They were so cute and it was so obvious from the off that Sidonia was in love with Nemesis. I wanted it to happen so bad but I knew it wasn't going to happen. I'm just glad that Sidonia's feelings were voiced.  As for the romance that did happen...I did like Tyrus and Nemesis but not as ugh. I felt like we could have seen more of them though so I'll be looking forward to that in book 2.

The world building in the book was good. I liked seeing all the different ships and the planet. I do wish we'd gotten more on the religion and history but again, hoping for that in book 2. I liked the political intrigue and I liked seeing how people could be almost anything.

Finally, I liked Nevani.

What I Didn't Like

I think it was last year that there was a big thing of TV shows burying their gays, especially the female characters. And, spoilers, this book did the same thing and killed off its single lesbian character after she admitted her feelings. It was depressing as hell and as much as I loved the book, I didn't like that.

Kincaid also killed off the adorable pet dog and that was a nope for me as I know it will be for many others.

In general, I really loved the book and I would definitely recommend it to others. I just feel that readers should be warned about certain things.

4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment