Monday 7 August 2017

ARC: There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins

So this is the second book I got recently from Netgalley. There's Someone Inside Your House is by Stephanie Perkins and described as a Scream type plot, it's one of the most widely anticipated books this autumn/winter.


I feel like I should start this review by saying I'm a huge fan of slasher films. I don't think they're scary, far from it, but they have something intriguing about them. So the first time I heard about this book I knew that I had to read it. Unfortunately the book didn't turn out to be what I'd hoped.



What I Liked

Oh boy, this will be a short section. So I liked most of the main characters and I liked the diversity. I liked that the killer blended in but had been prone to violence for a long time. All that made it fairly realistic. As well as that some of Ollie and Makani's banter was honestly enjoyable and they seemed to work well together. I just didn't particularly care for them or the murders surrounding them.

Also some of the scenes kinda reminded me of Persona 4 and that made me incredibly happy. Unfortunately, there weren't many scenes like that to keep me going.

What I Didn't Like

I'd like to say that this isn't a horror book. Not really. It's a YA romance with slightly bloody murders thrown in. The description of the murders wasn't up to much compared to other scenes I've read in YA books and there wasn't much tension. The killer's reasoning didn't make much sense either. I can maybe guess at his trigger but you don't get enough of a clue. And that's a frustrating thing that a lot of authors seem to forget and that even the killers who kill for pleasure have some sort of trigger. I'll add a most of the time in case someone has evidence that says otherwise but it still makes sense to see why the killer does it. I'll give Perkins a break as she's a YA romance author and horror is such a different genre. I can even say the sex is fitting because horror films are filled with it but the book was too lovey-dovey.

If you're looking for the bloody slasher novel promised then you won't get it but if you're after a romance novel with a difference, one that makes you think and gasp then this is a great book for you.

I have no doubt this book will do well, I just think that maybe it's not what a lot of us were hoping for.

2/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment