Saturday 16 September 2017

Rain by Amanda Sun

Oh man, that was so good. I'm going to have to share some quotes in this review and write a different style of review than I usually would.



Rain was the second book in the Paper Gods trilogy and it was just as thrilling as the first. There were some issues with...well...white girl being important within a Japanese mythos. The way it happened does make sense but it still makes me go meh a little.



Aside from that this was a great book that felt like it was really in Japan. It was realistic with clear cultural differences and I do like that. As well as that the use of the Japanese Kami and the shrines in this is really fascinating.

But do you want to know the best part of this book?

Satoshi Ishikawa.

I barely remember him from book one but this punk with the dyed white hair is officially a fave. Recently I've gotten back into watching anime again and I've been attracted to best friend ships that have angst in their present and/or future. So guess what Sato and Yuuto did for me in this... sob.

I mean, look at this...

"Aaaand now the whole gym knows you're in love with him," Ishikawa said..."You were as loud as me." I'd just meant it as a gibe, but I realized what I'd said the minute the words were out. 
"Yeah, well," Ishikawa said, his eyes soft as he stared straight ahead at the kendouka. "It's you he heard."

My heart hurts now.

But seriously Ishikawa is probably one of the best characters. He's a future Yakuza member with a heart of gold, a teenage boy having to hide his sexuality in a homophobic culture and yet he's still supportive and cracking jokes. He's happy if Yuuto is and though he made some mistakes in book one, he was actually trying to help.

I actually love other side characters for similar reasons. Shiori is a bitch but is only lashing out as she's alone and didn't want to lose the one person she had and Ikeda is loyal to a fault, even if Jun doesn't feel the same way. I feel for these ladies and I feel like the side characters are part of what makes the book great.

I will be reading book 3 when I can and hoping for more Ishikawa!


4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment