Monday 5 June 2017

Buddy Read: Conditional Love by Cathy Bramley



Hello, I'm Rosina and this is a buddy read review! This weekend my lovely friend from deesteasandbooks on Instagram read Conditional Love by Cathy Bramley. 

Hey, I'm Dee.

Okay so my comments will be normal and Dee's shall be italic!



So this was a chick-lit novel so we both knew the sort of thing to expect. But it also gives us a place to start so what did you think about the romance~

Regarding the romance with Nick, it wasn't quite Insta-love (on Sophie's part) and it was slow to get to the point if she decided she truly liked him or not and sometimes she would go like a month until she even saw or spoke to him again so that did frustrate me a little but then again when they did come together I always enjoyed their interactions.

And don't get me started on Marc haha

Oh god, Marc was a douche but we knew what he did was coming. I was glad when Sophie showed him the door though. I get what you mean about the romance with Nick as well. The book really was skippy which made it feel a little sudden when she did like him. It was cute though.
Her relationship with Marc showed her naivety, and it took her a time before she actually listened to what her friends (flatmates Jess and Emma) were trying to tell her all along. But she got there in the end. And yes, Sophie and Nick were cute!

Speaking of the flatmates, I wish we had seen more of them. Their friendship was clearly cute but I'm not sure there was enough. There was so much going on, it would have been nice to see all the support. Not just some.

I agree with that as I really liked them and how they all encouraged and supported one another, though their scenes were quick ones.

Regardless, I'm glad they were strong characters and not the two-dimensional sort of ones you sometimes read about.

Yeah, you wanted to be able to understand them which was good. Family dynamics were another big part. But umm considering it was a big part of the plot, I wasn't a huge fan of it eeep.
I can understand what you're saying. Her new-found relationship with her dad did lack realness for me and Sophie's mum was hardly around from the moment Sophie turned eighteen. I did find her mum quite selfish.

She was selfish and it was said at one point she was ill but I'm not sure how. I'd have liked more on that. The problem was that there was a lot of stuff packed into this book so there wasn't enough detail on everything.

Yeah, that's true. Would have been nice to get some clarity on those things, yeah. Something I did like is the fact that due to the inheritance she was about to earn, it allowed Sophie to rediscover her passion for interior design and give her renewed hope in her abilities, and a goal to reach.
The architecture and interior design were probably the best parts. I love the passion that both Sophie and Nick had for it.

I definitely agree with that! It's what connected them as well and I'm glad Sophie also inspired Nick as well in his line of work.

Yeah, it was nice to see. Overall I did like the book more than expected. I got through it so easily and really did enjoy it.

Same here, I enjoyed it and it had some laugh out loud moments which is always a good thing!

So that was the first of hopefully many buddy reads to come. Dee and I got through this book super quickly and we're hoping to read maybe something a little more genre based and meatier. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment